Do you know that you can book domain names from right inside your Wix website builder panel?
Look, if you want to connect a custom domain with Wix, you have 2 options:
- Buy Domain from a third party and then connect the domain to your website (by making DNS Edits)
- Buy Domain directly from Wix and connect it with your website.
Now, which option is best suited for you?
Short Answer: If you are afraid of the word DNS Edit, then simply buy the domain using WIX. This is the best option for beginners.
Long Answer: It Depends.
It depends upon your skills and budget. It depends on whether you already own a domain or if you are booking a fresh domain.
In this post, I will be analyzing Wix domain costs so that you can come to a conclusion.
Wix Domain Cost
Wix charges 14.95 USD / year for the domain.
This is costlier as compared to purchasing a domain name through registrars like Namecheap.
But wait, that’s only domain name cost.
If you want domain privacy, that’s an extra 9.99 USD per year.
- So the cost of purchasing the domain through Wix is : 14.95 USD
- Add Whois Privacy and the total cost will be : 24.95 USD
Now if you book a domain through a domain registrar like Namecheap, it will cost you approx $9 USD / Year.
Namecheap also bundles Whois Privacy for free. In fact, the Whois Privacy is Free forever.
- So total cost when purchasing a domain through Namecheap is: $9 USD / Year
So purchasing a domain through WIX will cost you an additional $15/year.
Domain Renewal costs
As you must be knowing, you need to renew your domain name every year.
The domain renewal costs are the same. So Wix domain will cost 14.95 to review after the first year. Not to mention that Whois Privacy renewal is extra.
Available Domain Extensions at Wix
Wix support all major domain extensions. A full list of supported extension can be found here
So Should I buy Domain from Wix?
Even though buying domain from Wix is a bit expensive, there are certain cases where this might be a good idea.
- Wix bundles free domain for the first year with its annual subscriptions. So if you are planning to purchase an annual subscription, you will get the domain name free for the first year, Take note that standard renewal fees will apply after the first year.
- If you are an absolute beginner, then buying the domain name through Wix will be much easier. You can buy the name connect it with your website in a few clicks.
You can think of paying an extra $15/year as a convenience fee.
If you are technical then you can buy a domain through a registrar like Namecheap and save money.
Does Wix own my domain?
Short Answer: No
You are the owner of your domain and you can easily move your domain out of Wix at any time you like.
There are certain limitations put in by ICCAN though.
For example, if you cannot move a domain immediately after purchasing a domain. You need to wait for 60 days before starting a transfer.
Refer to this post to know about how to transfer a domain away from Wix.
Can I use an existing domain with Wix
Yes, you can use an existing domain with your Wix Website. there are two ways to go about it.
In this case your domain will be hosted with the domain registrar. You will be making DNS edit to ensure that the domain points to your wix website.
Read more about this technique here
In this case you are transferring the domain control to Wix. So now the domain and your website both will be hosted by Wix.
Read more about this technique here.
In this post I have tried to answer your question regarding Wix domain cost and Wix Domain management.
If you have any question then pls free to ask in the comments.